Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tractatus

I have been reading Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-philosophicus, the German as well. I also have Alfred Nordmann's Wittgenstein's Tractatus: An Introduction. His first page talks about W's three kinds of sentence.


I am interested in comparing the Tractarian picture theory, as well as the later language games approach, to a model of conceptual and lexical memory that I am developing. My posts "On Memory" are partly to develop a foundation for such a theory. Tractarian logic is probably an inspiration for Sowa's Conceptual Graphs, Kamp's Discourse Representation Theory, Barwise's Situation Theory and Minimal Recursion Semantics, all of which I think are interesting approaches to build on. I am sure the language games critique will also be helpful, especially since I believe there are confusions about meaning related to a theory of consciousness (or lack thereof).



No comments: